Google Penalty – Let us help you get your Website Back On Track!
If your website has been penalised by Google, then you are in a real mess. Your business is tracking along quite nicely, you are sitting high on page 1 of Google and then boom, all of a sudden you rankings are gone. This is an absolute disaster and this happens all the time to websites that have violated Google’s strict SEO guidelines. Welcome to the land of hell, known as the Google penalty. It’s a bloody nightmare, and can spell the end for many businesses that rely on Google to generate sales. But, all is not lost. There is light at the end of this dark tunnel and we are here to help you recover from a Google penalty.
As Google continues to fine tune, tweak and modify it’s ranking algorithm, many SEO agencies are finding it harder and more of an arduous task to rank their clients websites. Even worse, there are a whole heap of ‘so called’ SEO agencies out there running rampant; offering crazy cut price deals with unrealistic SEO ranking guarantees that know nothing about how to rank a website, which all leads to 1 thing; a Google penalty.
Many businesses, in a hurry to get their website on page 1 of Google, often align themselves with SEO agencies that sell their services based on fabricated promises of miracle rankings in less than 90 days. These SEO cowboys are like sharks circling poor unsuspecting, naïve people who believe the hype and pay for their ignorance by being stung with a Google penalty.
Your once loved SEO company will deny all knowledge of this and absolve themselves of all responsibility and you are left swinging in the breeze without any one to help you out. Well, this is where we at SEO SYDNEY EXPERTS step in and are able to rescue you from this catastrophic situation. If you are one of the many businesses out there who are suffering in hell cause you have been lied to and completely ripped off by your current SEO provider, then give us a call on 02 9360 8514 – we will turn things around for you and get your rankings back on track. This is what we do best and we have helped and resuscitated the dismal rankings of many businesses throughout Australia who have been smashed by Google.
What do you mean by a Google Penalty?
A Google penalty is when Google has indexed your website, taken notice of all the internal back links pointing towards your website as well as all the non compliant ‘on page’ work and has deemed it to be ‘black hat’. That is, the spam team at Google ( and yes there is a massive team who are watching every move you make online), feels that your site is trying to manipulate and artificially fabricate your websites online rankings. There are literally hundreds of ways that you can do this, but all you need is to cross the line once and you are going to be penalised.
What happens is that your website will either be taken out of the rankings where you will not be able to find it, or dropped down 4 or 5 pages. This situation WILL NOT improve or remedy itself unless you take action in repairing the damage. Again, this is where we step in and fix the mess up. A word of warning here: do not attempt to do this yourself and take matters into your own hands. This will just makes things worse. You have to leave it to a team like SEO SYDNEY EXPERTS that knows what to do in this situation and the steps involved in getting out of this penalty.
How to spot a potential Google Penalty.
This can be a lot harder than it looks but in my opinion prevention is far better than the cure. If you can spot a few of these techniques going on with your SEO company and if any of these methods have been implemented on your website then it’s time to hit the panic button.
– The over use of directory link building – it’s OK to have a few links on the most popular recognised, legitimate directories but if you think placing your website on hundreds of dodgy directories is going to help, then think again. Google has completely stamped this kind of practice out and will know if you are doing this. There is no hiding from their spiders and they will detect too many directory listings. Get your SEO company to show you all the back links they are doing and if the majority of them are from weird directories it’s time to get the hell out of there, and FAST!
– Commenting on other websites blog – a massive no-no and this will have absolutely no impact on your rankings. One or two appropriate comments on separate websites are fine, but go over board with this and watch out.
– Repetitive over optimised content – people often think that if they repeat their main keywords in their content it will help with the rankings. This just looks overly dodgy, will annoy anyone visiting your website and this contravenes all Googles ranking laws. Forget about spammy content, write naturally for your market and you will be fine. You might find that if you have employed a SEO company to write content for you and they are doing it on the cheap, they will outsource this and this is where the issues begin. Poor content written by amateurs is the surest path to a penalty. You will see this immediately when you look at your blog posts or web content.
– Having the same anchor text – look at your in bound links. If you don’t know how to do this, then ask your SEO team. If all you see is the same keyword for your business being optimised, then you are going to get a penalty. This is a certainty. Even worse if these anchor texts are always pointing to the home page. Google wants to see a natural and balanced looking link profile and if your website even slightly looks like it’s trying to scam the system, them its all over. This is the most common cause of a penalty so be on the look out for this.
– Many SEO agencies are working on very thin margins. The way they work is they offer you low, cheap insanely unrealistic offers just to get your business and guess what? To make any money they either do absolutely nothing or if they do something it’s really bad, low quality work. If you have been persuaded by these guys to sign up with them cause the rates were just way too good to refuse then it’s likely you will suffer a penalty in the next couple of months. Even if they swear to god that you will never get a penalty and that none of their clients have ever suffered this fate, YOU WILL. This is part of their sales lies and this is why you are heading for a CRASH – you have been warned!
If any of the above points look remotely familiar then your website is in violation of Google’s guidelines and its time to mitigate any potential problems. If your site is still ranking, then you still have time to correct the situation – if it doesn’t happen today then it may next week or next month. You just don’t know – so my advice is to radically shift your SEO focus at this stage to correcting all problems before you even consider any future rankings.
There are 2 SEO Penalties You Should Know About.
Google is always refining it’s ranking algorithm, performing minor tweaks and adjustments here and there that by in large will not affect too many websites. However, there are 2 extremely vital SEO penalties that took a chunk out of the rankings of many sites and shifted the way search engine optimisation companies performed their business and looked at the way they implemented their strategies. Google effectively drew a line in the sand and said ‘ enough is enough’. From this day onwards if you in any way contravene any of our guidelines your site will be penalised.
It’s really easy to avoid these penalties. Just play by the rules, use only ‘ white hat’ SEO techniques and stop looking at those cheap SEO players that are the real cause of these issues. Be realistic when it comes to your rankings, and for gods sake spend the appropriate amount of money to get the best people working for you.
SEO Penalty # 1: Penguin
This massive update cleaned up the whole outsourcing of SEO to the third world, where one could buy backlinks for next to nothing. A new website could miraculously appear on page 1 within a few months and all they had to do was pay a small fee for this. It became a joke when companies had millions of back links and it was a matter of the more links the better. Quality was not an issue. Websites of real dodgy businesses were able to out rank legitimate operations by merely obtaining more links. Penguin was the saviour to this and immediately punished websites that not only had too many low quality back links, but also punished sites that were over optimising anchor text keywords.
In a matter of a day, it turned the whole ranking ideology around. Quality became paramount and link quantity became voodoo. This was implemented with very little warning and well known household names were smashed by Google. The focus is on SEO agencies finding only premium back links that are relevant. One link from an authoritative website will out weigh thousands of links from poor sites.
SEO Penalty # 2 Panda
In a one –two knock out punch Google released Panda and this looked at everything to do you’re your website. Surviving the first algorithmic tsunami was not enough. You then had to wait for the after shock of Panda that looked at your website and anything non compliant was punished without impunity or exception. BOOM – there goes 15-20% of websites world wide that had websites that were visibly delivering a poor user experience. These include: incorrect titles, on page website content, page load speeds, relevant content, graphics, the list goes on and on. Websites that were old, out dated, copy poor and particularly offensive got hit by the Panda.
So, what do we do, how do we fix this for you?
Fixing a Penguin Penalty: Let me first begin by saying this is not easy. It’s a long and in some cases a difficult road but what we have to do is look at both ‘on and off page’ issues. The very first thing we do is to get access into your web master tools account and look at your back linking profile. If there is a message from Google telling us that there are ‘too many in bound unnatural links’, then we have to go and delete each and every link ever created. Yes you heard this right. This can be an absolute nightmare depending on the number of links you have. Imagine going about and deleting 20 000 links. We have to contact all website owners that your links are on and beg them and in some cases you have to pay them, to get rid of the links. The point to make here is that you cannot go about this in a half-hearted manner. You have to show Google that you have made a very concerted effort to reduce your link profile. In some cases they will except your efforts and in other they will want to see each and every link removed. This can be an issue as some website owners may be reluctant to be cooperative. In this case after we have exhausted all avenues we can then put these links aside and use the Google disavow tool. A bit complicated I know, but this is the process.
Fixing a Panda Penalty In regards to all on page web issues hit by Panda, this is a lot easier and we can tackle this via designing and building a new website or simply fixing the issues that we can see. A relative quick fix and way easier than getting hit by the Penguin
How Long Does it take to recover from a Google Penalty?
If I had a dollar for every time I was asked this question, I would be wealthy. This is definitely the most common question we are asked and unfortunately I cannot provide an accurate time frame. It depends on many factors and varies based on how bad your SEO company was. Some agencies are that bad and did such shonky work that it can takes months to fix the issue. If I had to give you an answer I would average it out and say anywhere between 3-6 months.
Removing and pruning your back links is the real time issue. Be prepared to stick this out for the long haul. In so far as fixing any on page issues, all we need to do is get in there and wait for Google to reindex your site and this should see a remarkable turn around. I have seen penalised websites come back to page 1 within a couple of weeks after making 1 or 2 slight alterations.
Cause we are relying on Google, who can only be contacted via email, we must be patient. Pestering them with emails will have zero affect and may make matters worse. Accept the fact that you are in a penalty, let the professionals help you get out of it and cop the punishment. After all, you are there cause you made the wrong choice to begin with when going with those crappy SEO cowboys and no one is to blame except yourself. Google is looking to see that you are contrite when communicating with them and will want to see a marked turn around in your online behaviour. I know this sounds a bit like school, but this is how you have to play the game. You are penalised for a reason and they want to see an improvement in your behaviour and an end, a stop in your dodgy ranking practices.
As you can gather from the above article SEO penalties are a nasty business. They are a real issue that needs someone with previous ‘get outta penalty’ experience. It can be a long labour intensive process that can take up a considerable amount of time, nerves and money. Some people opt out entirely and may decide to scrap their website and start again, whilst others that have an established brand and well known website name may need to go through this process. In any case, if you are stuck in a penalty and let us know and we will be more than happy to help you out.