In the online world purchasing decisions are made within a couple of seconds. Your website has a few moments to make an impact or get a response, this is why conversion rates really matter when it comes to your website. If the user doesn’t like what they see, they will exit the site and most likely go to a competitor. Remember, it’s easy to hit the exit button. People are not loyal and your website needs to convert these people into paying customers.
Not an easy task but following are a few great tips to optimising your website so it is performing at its very best and converting as many people who visit your site as possible.
So Quickly What is Conversion Rate Optimisation?
CRO is the technique used to convert as many website visitors into paying clients as possible. It’s goal is to get people who land on your website and turn these people into customers. Conversion rate optimisation also involves reducing web bounce rates. That is, site exits from the home page. Website stickiness and site exploration is what converts users – the longer they spend on your website and the more they look around, the higher the probability of an inquiry. If you want to succeed online and make money from your website then CRO is a vital and extremely important component of your digital marketing campaign.
Why Do Users Need CRO?
There are many components of the website that need to be optimised for conversion – websites can be broken down into various components and each of these need to be looked at for ultimate performance.
- The check out process for an eCommerce website – it needs to be simple, easy to use and allow customers to buy the goods with a minimum of fuss and distractions.
- If you require users to fill out a form – auto population of forms is a great idea.
- Newsletter sign ups need to be done so that the client feels they can opt out at any time PLUS, like with all site wide forms ( inquiry, contact and subscription) they need to be super simple to fill out and email off.
All of the above are necessary functions of a website and need to be continuously fine tuned and improved for better conversion. You can always check the effectiveness of your CRO by using your Google analytics. If bounce rates are up, then it’s back to the drawing board. If they are down, then job well done. BUT, never rest. You should always be studying your competition, looking at web trends and making constant improvements.
OK – so what are those GREAT CONVERSION RATE OPTIMISATION TIPS?
1. Simplify all web processes.
The more complicated your website is, the higher the chances of site abandonment and bounce rates. Simplify everything, make the web journey as easy as possible and the rewards will be there.
Point to consider include:
- Make sure the web layout is simple, uncluttered and clean – avoid flashy images, over use of colourful graphics and animating banners.
- If you want information, keep it under 4 fields: name, email and web address & phone number
- Do not give too many choices and options. Guide your customer, never let them guide you or offer opportunities for site exits. Remember, it’s your site and you need to control the flow of your customer.
- Lengthy scrolling down massive pages with too many images are a site killer – keep it all within the top half of the page.
- Never make users sign up or join if you want them to buy something – make this optional NEVER compulsory. There is nothing worse than having to verify emails right before your buy the product. It’s a pain and you never know what they are going to do with your information. Just like buying at the retail level – you want o be in and out quickly. Signing up and joining clubs whilst good for some, is very inconvenient for the majority of the population. In fact the ABS reports that 92% of people will not proceed with the check out if they are forced to join up.
2. Lengthy Loading Speed Will Destroy Your Website
This is a no brainer – minimise download times and website speed to a few seconds. Anything more and you can kiss your customers goodbye. Add to this Google looks at site speed when it comes to your SEO ranking and site speed/download times become a real issue. If you have been using a SEO company in the past that has not addressed site speed then you need to look at changing your SEO team. This is a critical issue and these guys should be onto this from the get go. It’s really the first thing that they should be looking at.
If your website has too many images, flashing banners, large graphics, then you need to measure site speed – there are tools out there for this, but it’s best to leave it to the professionals who will know to optimise your site so it’s super fast and very Google compliant.
Loading delays, watching the wheel spin for 30 seconds before the site loads is going to have a serious impact on your business – be very aware of this and do everything you can to keep your site lightening fast. Remember, slow websites equate to poor performance which equals disastrous conversions. You know exactly what I am talking about here. How many times have you hit the delete button whilst waiting for a site to load?
Some great points to note:
- Significantly downsize each individual web page – limit graphics and text – keep them manageable.
- Optimising all of your images so they are very SEO compatible.
- Ensure your hosting response times are quick – servers should ideally be based in Sydneye – if you have hosting outside Sydney consider switching providors as soon as you can.
3. Mobile Web Design Makes Life Simple
Mobile traffic from iphones and handhelds are expected to increase seven fold by the year 2018. Too add to this, statistics show that this mobile market is way more impatient than the traditional desktop user and if your site is not super efficient and a click away from buying then they are exiting. Responsive sites and individual mobile sites (.m) are going to play an increasingly important role in the user experience and ultimately in your web conversions. The reality is here and conversions are only going to get worse, the longer you delay the inevitable.
So ask yourself this question? Are your website conversions suffering because you have been too lazy to do anything about it OR you really just have never thought about this issue? Contact us today to speak to one of our online marketing and SEO professionals for a FREE consultation on improving your conversion rates. CALL 02 9360 8514